For the outer walls, I essentially built two boxes, each 10″ long, 3.5″ high, and 3″ wide. I used the Wall Builder mold (#200 in the Hirst Arts line), casting it twice then doubling it to make half of a section of a side of the box. That means that you need to cast it eight times (four times a side) for an entire wall section. Because the mold’s length is only four inches, I added two inches to the end using regular blocks, and used regular blocks for the short sides.
For the top, I cheated once again, but this time the cheating caught up with me. I used some custom molds I had made a while back to cast 3″ wide floor tiles to go across the top of the “box.” But there’s a problem. Sometime when casting using silicone rubber, there is a bit of shrinkage. It is usually not noticeable, like 2%. Two percent of an inch is nothing, but when you then have that add up over ten inches, it becomes almost a quarter of an inch shortfall, which you can see on the edge of the wall. This was made worse because I glued 1″ by 1/4″ by 1/2″ tiles along the side of the upper floor to make part of the raised crenellations, and now it is really noticeable. I may have to dremel the lip off a bit to make it flush with the undersized bricks as a result. Or, I could not be so much of a perfectionist, one of the two. On top of the narrow floor tiles, I glued 1/2″ square blocks for the crenellations.
Anyways, you basically make two of these wall sections, that are nice and deep so you can have some fun man-t0-man combats on them (and reflect the historical reality of the walls themselves). Next, I’ll be building the three sides of the inner walls.
some floor tiles are made of polymers like polycarbonates and epoxy, i think they are much cheaper:–